Time Management Skills
What is time management and why should it be important to you? Time management is the process of planning and controlling how much time to spend on specific activities. Good time management enables us to complete more in a shorter period of time. Effectively managing your time can also lower your stress and improve your focus. Consider incorporating the techniques below to help you improve your time management skills:
- Plan ahead – Create a list of tasks that you want to accomplish and at the end of each day review your tasks and start a list for the following day.
- Set clear goals and prioritize your tasks – Use the SMART method when setting goals. Make sure the goals you set are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely.
- Start tasks early and focus on one task at a time – Many successful people have one thing in common- they start their day early, as it gives them time to sit, think, and plan their day.
- Allow yourself to take breaks between each task – When doing a lot of tasks without a break, it is harder to stay focused and motivated. Allow some downtime between tasks to clear your head and refresh yourself.
- Learn your patterns of productivity and create a routine that works for you.
- Avoid distractions – Is the phone ringing distracting you or are you getting several text messages? It’s okay to wait to respond back to someone when you have completed a task or when you decide to take a break.
- Overcome procrastination – Avoiding procrastination can be difficult and we tend to procrastinate when we feel bored or overwhelmed. Scheduling in smaller, fun, activities throughout the day can break up the more difficult tasks and can help you stay on track.
- Avoid multitasking – Wait until you finish one task before starting another. You’ll be surprised by how much more you’re able to get done.
- Organize yourself and your workplace – Utilize your calendar for more long-term time management. Write down the deadlines for projects or for tasks that are part of completing the overall project. Think about which days might be best to dedicate to specific tasks. Keep your desk clutter free and well organized.
- Use technology to help keep you accountable -There are many apps available to keep you focused and organized.
- Reinforce your good habits.
To become the master of our time, we should have a confident belief that we can accomplish more of what we really want to do, if we improve our time management habits. Time Management is a tool that could be the secret to your success.